Aji Ethiopian Fire is another member of the Capsicum baccatum branch of the chilli family tree - we at Professor Pods love to grow and eat aji chillies (pronounced 'ahh-key').
These mammoth homegrown plants grow very tall (2 – 2.5 m) and produce torpedo-shaped orange/red pods. However, they're the longest ripening chillies we've ever grown, taking 10-11 months from seed to fully ripe harvest! Could be the Scottish weather...not quite Ethiopian, is it?
These aji chillies are reported to be around 50,000 Scovilles, which seems about right given a pod taste test I did.
The initial taste is like sweet tomatoes, with a very pleasing heat building gradually, giving way to pleasant, smooth finish. It's a nice heat level, not overpowering, and works really well as an everyday condiment.
This is also an excellent sauce for cooking - we find its a good one to use with Mexican dishes, marinades or for 'lifting' soups.
A rare chilli sauce that is well worth trying!
- Vegetarian/vegan friendly.
- Ingredients: water, chillies, vinegar (distilled from malted barley), onion, salt, garlic, rapeseed oil
- Preservatives: ascorbic acid (E300), citric acid (E330)
- Contents: 155 ml e (in recyclable glass bottle)
- Please check out Policies and FAQS for more information about our policies, shipping, insurance, returns, allergens and shelf lives.